0

‘Danger to children’: Man jailed for grooming two girls


August 22, 2026 - 170 views

A 33-year-old man has been jailed for 10 years after grooming two young girls online and sexually assaulting one of his victims.

Alexander Sands, who has no fixed abode but is from the Preston area, was sentenced at Mold Crown Court yesterday (Friday 21 August).

Sands previously admitted sexually grooming and assaulting a 13-year-old girl in the Pwllheli area in 2022.

He also admitted, as part of a separate investigation by Lancashire Police, attempting to meet an eight-year-old child following grooming in Leicestershire last year.

The court sentenced Sands to a total of 14 years, including 10 years in custody followed by a four-year extension period.

He was also given lifetime restraining orders protecting both victims, must remain on the sex offenders' register for life and was made subject to a 12-year Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

Sands first made contact with the 13-year-old through her friend while they were playing a video game online.

He told the girl that he was 16, despite actually being 29 at the time. He then asked for her social media details, but she refused.

On another occasion, while the girl was playing the game with her friend, Sands told her that he was coming to visit her over the weekend.

The girl had never told him where she lived.

The following day, Sands turned up in the Pwllheli area and found the victim sitting on a bench with friends.

When she refused his request for a hug, he pushed one of her friends from the bench and sat next to the girl.

He then forced himself upon her and kissed her before attempting to put his hands down her trousers. He went on to sexually assault her.

Detective Sergeant Jamie Aston said Sands was "a danger to children" and had used an online platform to target his victim to fulfil his sexual desires.

He said the case highlighted the importance of children and parents knowing exactly who they are speaking to online.

Detective Sergeant Aston praised the bravery of both victims for coming forward and giving their accounts, which he said had resulted in Sands receiving a lengthy prison sentence.

He added that victims of sexual assault are encouraged to come forward with confidence that they will be heard and supported.

North Wales Police said violence against women and girls remains a foremost priority for the force and that officers will continue to pursue those responsible and bring them to justice.