August 16, 2026 - 222 views
The Army is being deployed to support firefighters tackling wildfires across Wales as the Welsh Government warns that the country continues to face an “unprecedented” wildfire situation.
The announcement comes as emergency services remain under significant pressure following a series of major fires across Wales during prolonged hot and dry weather.
Finance Minister Elin Jones MS said both South Wales Fire and Rescue Service and Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service had declared major incidents because of the number of fires they are dealing with.
The Welsh Government has supported a formal request for Military Aid to the Civilian Authorities (MACA), with the Army now agreeing to provide additional resources to assist South Wales firefighters.
The Welsh Government has also said it is prepared to provide funding for the military support if required.
The First Minister attended a COBR meeting last week, where he highlighted the seriousness of the situation in Wales and called for co-ordinated action across the UK, including the possible deployment of military resources.
The Government says the response is being co-ordinated through established multi-agency emergency arrangements involving the emergency services, other organisations and the Welsh Government.
The situation has also prompted an emergency alert from the UK Government, reflecting the seriousness of the wildfire threat across England, Wales and Scotland.
Communities in Wales have already been badly affected, with residents in Newbridge receiving support after suffering the devastating loss of their homes.
North Wales has also seen a number of significant wildfire incidents during the recent spell of hot and dry weather.
Yesterday, North Wales Fire and Rescue Service reassured the public after receiving a high volume of calls about a fire on Rhiw Mountain near Pwllheli.
The service said firefighters were in attendance and dealing with the incident, while thanking members of the public for their concerns.
The Welsh Government is warning that the risk of further wildfires remains very high.
People are being urged to avoid any activity which could cause a fire and to follow advice from emergency services.
The Government is also stressing the importance of reporting fires quickly where there is an immediate risk to life or property, while taking steps to protect vulnerable people from the effects of smoke.
Elin Jones said: “We remain incredibly grateful to firefighters and other responders for working tirelessly in very challenging conditions to extinguish the fires and protect life and property.”
She also urged the public to behave responsibly and follow emergency service advice, allowing firefighters and other responders to concentrate on dealing with the immediate threat.
The Welsh Government says an Oral Statement and questions will be scheduled for the first Senedd plenary session after the current recess.
